Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Tooth Fairy a.k.a The International Tooth Repossessors

I am a general family dentist in Norristown. I am also the father of three boys. As soon as I entered my children in school I began to get bombarded with questions about how much the Tooth Fairy gives for each baby tooth. Before I was a parent the answer was simple...I have no idea ask other parents. Now I am a parent. Now I am on a budget. I started to ask other parents what they thought was a fair amount for each baby tooth. The answer was astonishing; as much as $20 per tooth! As a parent that seems fair, but as a dentist it is highway robbery because there are 20 baby teeth, and I have three children. That means I'm expected to shell out $1200!!! So I came up with an alternative plan and it is even educational.
There are children all over the world. The Tooth Fairy must travel all over the world collecting their teeth and giving them money. Therefore the Tooth Fairy is an international traveler and gives out coins from all over the world from all the countries she has visited. 
Now replace that crisp $20 with a few coins from around the world. You can buy them on ebay for pennies. Put them in a little sack that you will reuse for future teeth. Now, when your child awakens with his/her new found treasure you can take the opportunity to look up where the coins come from and a little history on each country. We put a world map on the wall and mark where each coin came from.
Alternatively, you could use a variety of United States state quarters. Then you can use a map of the U.S. and show them where the coins came from and a bit of history about each state. 

A Family Dental Care Center: Dr. Seth Rosen
2030 West Main St. Norristown, PA 19403
610.631.3400

No comments:

Post a Comment