Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Denture "Bait and Switch"

I’m going to make you a really really cheap denture that doesn’t fit, doesn’t look good, and will probably break a lot. You know you want one. No? How about a sorta cheap denture that sorta fits, looks okay in passing, and will probably break in a few months. No? Okay, okay…how about a custom fit denture, hand set customized teeth that will fit like a fine glove, looks like natural teeth even up close, and is guaranteed against breakage. Yes! That’s the one!


Basic dentures, these are advertised
as the "economy" cheapest dentures.
Ever see an add for a really cheap denture? We all have.  Free consultation too. The idea is to get you in the door, then convince you that you would never want anything but the best, and most expensive option. I call it bait and switch. They call it upgrading. The old good, better, best scenario. Dentists are advertising various tiers of dentures as "good" or "economy", "better", and "best" or "premium" quality. I've even seen Neuromuscular/FaceLift Dentures that claim that they can make the wearer look "20 years younger". These are also the most expensive type of dentures available. I'm skeptical of these FaceLift Dentures, and especially skeptical of the different available tiers of dentures that some dentists provide. 


Premium or "best" dentures. These
 are advertised as the more expensive
but better quality dentures.
There is no reason for any patient to ever buy the economy level of dentures. These are allegedly lower quality, look less natural, and fit less comfortably. However, I strongly suspect that these different tiers don't even exist and are only advertised to further glorify the "premium" dentures. My practice has never lowered itself to such tactics and never will. All dentures should be seen as a beautiful custom set that shows off my work. In fact, if we have done our job properly no one should appreciate our work. It should go unnoticed. I only provide custom-made dentures in my office of the highest quality, which tend to be a lot less than the premium denture up sell. Everything is guaranteed and there are no limitations on adjustments or breakage. I believe that I have to stand by my work and so I only make the best dentures possible and never offer a lower quality denture. My practice also offers financing for patients who cannot immediately fit the cost of dentures into their budget.




A Family Dental Care Center: Dr. Seth Rosen 

2030 West Main St. Norristown, PA 19403 
610.631.3400

No comments:

Post a Comment