Friday, November 30, 2012

FAQs About Dentures

Everything You'd Ever Need to Know About Dentures! 



What are dentures?
A denture is a removable replacement for missing teeth. There are two main types of dentures: full dentures and partial dentures. Full dentures are used when all the teeth are missing while partial dentures are used when some natural, healthy teeth remain. 

Does insurance cover the cost? 
Many dental insurance companies pay for a portion of the cost of dentures. Since all insurances are different it’s important to check with your carrier to find out what they will cover.  We also offer financing for patients without dental insurance. 

Will my dentures need to be replaced?
Dentures will need to be relined, rebased or remade over time due to normal wear and tear. It’s important to replace severely worn or ill-fitting dentures before they cause problems such as sores and infections. 

What do dentures feel like?
At first, a new denture will probably feel slightly awkward and loose while your cheek and tongue muscles learn to keep the dentures in place. It only takes a few weeks before you become fully accustomed to your new dentures. It is also very common to feel irritation or soreness at first, if these problems persist you should revisit your dentist.  An overdenture will never feel loose or move around your mouth and may be the best option to solve discomfort.

Can I eat while wearing dentures?
Yes! Learning to eat with your dentures will take some practice- you should start with soft foods cut into small pieces and chew slowly. You will always have to be careful of very hard foods and hot food and beverages. Many people who have trouble eating with full dentures find that an overdenture is the better option for them. 

How often should I visit my dentist? 
It is recommended that denture wearers visit the dentist once a year. 

Will they change how I look and speak? 
Like eating, speaking with dentures will need some practice. Properly fitting dentures will not alter your speech after you get used to wearing them. Your dentures will be made to very closely resemble your natural teeth and will not hinder your appearance or look fake or noticeable- they may even improve the look of your smile and profile! See the below pictures showing how dentures improve the look of your face and profile. People who do not replace their missing teeth tend to have a “sunken in” look and can greatly improve the look of their face by using dentures.  

A Family Dental Care Center: Dr. Seth Rosen
2030 West Main St. 
Norristown, PA 19403

15 comments:

  1. My dentist recommended that I get dentures, and I have been the most worried about how I'm going to sound while talking with them on. I'm glad to know that with some practice you can get used to it. I'm glad to know also that I can eat while wearing them, and I'll have to make sure I'm extra careful while eating hard foods. http://www.denturecentre.com.au/denture-information

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to My Knowledge, A denture (complete or partial denture) is an appliance that is inserted in the mouth, replaces natural teeth and provides support for the cheeks and lips.
    You can also check for dental implant vs bridge

    ReplyDelete
  3. People don't seem to realize what an aesthetic difference dentures can make to a face. The sunken look is something that can be repaired with dentures as soon as they're installed. I don't know why anyone would hesitate before getting them.

    Jenn | http://www.denturedoctor.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing the difference dentures can make for people's faces, speech, and even eating habits. Something about having a great set of teeth can really boost someone's self-esteems. I think it's great that we have these kinds of resources for people who need them!

    Sara Welsh | http://rockvilledentalarts.com/dentures/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many of impression materials are available and ease of handling various factors such as the nature of the procedure, patient suitability, accuracy of content, depending on the economic outlook and perception as to choose which one to use.Dental impression material

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems like a recurring topic that comes up when talking about dentures, is practice. You state that it takes practice to eat normally and talk normally. I can understand that. Any time that you are introduced to something new, it takes practice and some getting used to! http://www.hornsbydentureclinic.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a lot that I dint' know about dentures. I thought that denture wearers would have to visit the dentist all of the time. I didn't know that they would have to visit the dentist only once a year. It doesn't surprise me that it would take a while for you cheek and tongue muscles to learn how to keep a new denture in place. I didn't know that they could cause irritation or soreness when you get a new denture. How much would an overdenture cost? It seems like they would be the best option if they don't cause discomfort.
    http://www.hayesdentureclinic.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never actually seen someone with and without dentures before. I think it is interesting how teeth can make a huge difference in people. From the picture, I can't even tell that the teeth are dentures which is nice because they need to look real.

    Zach | http://www.denturestudio.com/dentures.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing the information. I was thinking to take my dad for the procedure and started looking for dental implant india. Now, i shall find more information and finally take him to a good dentist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your explanation of how I can eat while wearing dentures is good to know. I was concerned about whether I would have to remove them in order to eat. I'll need to get a full set of dentures, so I'll look into your suggestion to get an overdenture in case that would make eating much easier. Thanks for the information!
    http://www.evertonparkdentures.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your explanation of how I can eat while wearing dentures is good to know. I was concerned about whether I would have to remove them in order to eat. I'll need to get a full set of dentures, so I'll look into your suggestion to get an overdenture in case that would make eating much easier. Thanks for the information!
    http://www.evertonparkdentures.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad that you included information about what dentures feel like. My mother is getting dentures soon, so I think she'll feel better about wearing them if she had an accurate description of what they're like. It will be good for her to know to allow them to take a few weeks to start feeling comfortable in her mouth while she's learning to keep her new dentures in place. I'll make sure she also knows to see a dentist if she feels persistent irritation or soreness.
    http://www.itsyoursmile.com.au/dentures/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad that you included information about what dentures feel like. My mother is getting dentures soon, so I think she'll feel better about wearing them if she had an accurate description of what they're like. It will be good for her to know to allow them to take a few weeks to start feeling comfortable in her mouth while she's learning to keep her new dentures in place. I'll make sure she also knows to see a dentist if she feels persistent irritation or soreness.
    http://www.itsyoursmile.com.au/dentures/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good post. I learn something totally new and challenging on blogs I stumble upon on a daily basis. It will always be interesting to read articles from other authors and practice something from their websites...

    Dental Hospital In Chennai | Best Dentists In Chennai | Best Dental Clinic In Chennai

    ReplyDelete